At our last council meeting, Grace Chmura of Christ Church Parish Day School, shared information with us about a workshop she hosted and attended regarding Poison Control. A great resource for parents is Poison Help. They offer Free, Fast, Expert Help. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. She gave a stickers to attach to our phone, handouts, and brochures that are full of important information. I will leave some of the literature on our resource table and bring some to playgroup on Monday.
I highly advise that you visit the website to learn more about what toxic substances may be lurking in your cabinet or purse. According to a flyer distributed by the Regional Center for Poison Control and Prevention, the Top Ten Poison Exposures in Children Under 5 are:
1. Cosmetics and Personal Care Products
2. Household Cleaning Products
3. Foreign Bodies and Toys
4. Topical Preparations (ointments, creams, gels and lotions)
5. Analgesics (pain relievers)
7. Cold and Cough Medications
8. Arts/crafts/office supplies
Lisa Cheney, CFCE Coordinator, Hamilton-Wenham RSD.